Sunday 14 September 2014

Canticum Canticorum: A translator's choice.



Some friends of mine are professional or amateur musicians in various choirs or ensembles and as they know I love classical music, I can often get free tickets or for a reduced price. Last evening I had again a chance for attending a concert: the Margaretha Consort performing beautiful baroque music by composers from cities which once belonged to the Hanseatic League. This league was active from the 13th to the 17th century and consisted of cities from the Low Countries to the Baltic with a common interest in commerce and defence.
Amongst the pieces was a motet by Henri Dumont (1610-1684), set on a text from the Song of Songs.  The Song of Songs is actually erotic poetry, standing in a long line of Near Eastern erotic poetry of which modern Arab love poetry is the youngest offshoot.  The reason that this text forms part of the Bible is that the love described was explained as a metaphor for the love of God for Israel.
I noticed that in the program booklet a line was missing in the Dutch translation and that the translation has been altered: quaesivi (quaeram) quem diligit anima mea was translated as `I searched (I will search) the one whom I love’.  I decided to sort this out. Well, the Hebrew × ַפְשִׁ֑×™  (nphshi `my soul’) can be used as `I’, so `my soúl loves’ = `I love’. I am sure this has been explained to me some 30 years ago while learning Biblical Hebrew in the first year of my study theology, but I completely forgot. Time to revive my Hebrew…
As for the translation: this is an interesting example of a translator’s choice: not only the modern Dutch Bible translations opt for `I love’ but also some modern English translations. But isn’t  `whom my soul loveth’(KJV) far more poetic?



Canticum Canticorum 3, 1-2



1.           In lectulo meo,
per noctes,
quaesivi quem diligit
anima mea:
quaesivi illum,
 et non inveni.
2.           Surgam,
et circuibo civitatem:
per vicos et plateas
quaeram quem diligit
anima mea:
quaesivi illum,
et non inveni.

lectulus: bed
surgo surrexi: to rise
circuibo: from circum-eo
vicus: street
platea: broad street, avenue


A performance of `In lectulo meo’:

More about the Song of Songs:

And more about the Margaretha Consort:

 


Illuminated manuscript of the Song of Songs (details unknown to me).

No comments:

Post a Comment